Invasive plants displace native plants and associated wildlife, can alter ecological processes such as fire and water flow, and have many negative impacts on many types of agricultural operations. Active management is necessary to control these plants! Watch the video linked above for a quick introduction to the invasives species issue.
Invasive animals have also become a serious challenge in some regions of Florida. Populations of invasive reptiles such as the Argentine tegu lizard are disrupting the populations and habitats of native wildlife.
UF/IFAS and several partners have many resources available for landowners and land managers in managing invasive species problems:
- UF/IFAS Invasive Species Programs
- Florida Invasive Species Partnership (Floridainvasives.org)
- Florida Invasive Species Council
- Invasive Non-native Plants - Florida Forest Service
- Invasive Plant Management - Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Invasive Plants of the United States: Identification and Control